Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Photographing Light
Sorry for my long-ish absence, I had exams on Monday and yesterday. I should be back to an every day or every other day blogging schedule now :)

Today I set out to photograph light as a subject, rather than focusing on finding a subject and hoping for good light. If that makes sense. I think I'll try more tomorrow. And I have a couple of fun things up my sleeve for the weekend, so stay tuned...It's a surprise, not that it's exciting to anyone but me :)

I loved the way the light was falling on this blanket this morning. And I also love eyelet. I was trying for a lighter black and white than I usually do in these, but I'm not sure if they're sort of muddy.. What do you think? I know the window in the second shot is blown, but I still like it, I wanted to show where the light was coming from.

These are from my garage, it has a really cool big window, and then 2 doors that open up the whole front. It's all old wood and old stuff, I'd love to clean it out and use it more. Someday! So here's a pan and a mini broom. Very exciting subjects, don't you think? Lol. But the light was cool, and I love the texture of the wood.


13 comments:

Jennifer said...

These are really good, nice shots, I especially like the last two shots, something about them. The comp and and tones in the 3rd shot are great and the comp and colors are great in the 4th shot!! Great job, nice song also!

Angela said...

Nice job finding the light! These are wonderful! Love the weathered/worn look to the last 2.

m.e. said...

Oh, wow, Ellen. These are GREAT. I'm a budding photographer and find lighting (and finding good light) one of the hardest things to do in getting a great exposure. Have any tips? ;-) Oh, and you asked about my blog: http://mommyjen.blogspot.com/. I'm really JSO in photography, but I'm hooked. Love, love, love your work. And I will definitely keep coming back ;-) Happy day!

Louisa said...

I love the idea of shooting light as your subject. I'll have to give it a go one of these days. I just read a whole bunch of your blog...so much fun! 12 of 12 was great. I'm very envious because I never eat mexican food anymore (no one in Vermont knows how to cook it) so I felt very hungry looking at that post! LOL! I love eyelet too. I always make eyelet stuff for my girls and then they never want to wear it :(

~Stacey said...

These are very good, you definitely achieved your goal of photographing light :)

Ellen said...

Jennifer - thank you! I'm glad you like them. I struggled a bit with the comp on those two, so I'm glad you like them. I'm also happy to hear someone else appreciates the song :)

Angela - thank you, it was partially your flowers on the table that motivated me to look for textures like this!

Jen - thank you so much! I find lighting really difficult too, which is why I'm trying to focus on it. I do find that I have the best luck about an hour before sunset, when the light is golden and angle-y (lol couldn't think of a better word).. You're too sweet. And don't be so hard on yourself, I went through a lot of your blog and you're awesome! Love your sense of humour too :)

Louisa - Definitely try it, at least it lets you relax on finding a subject. That's so sad your girls won't wear eyelet. Do you sew it? That must be really difficult. I plan on making my future kids wear it, but I'll buy it lol.

Stacey - Thanks! :)

aboutimage said...

Sounds like you are getting creative at taking on photo challenges - awesome!

Nicely done. I love what you have captured here.

I hope your exmas went well :)

Amy (3 Peas) said...

I love the last one- great color and textures :)

Ellen said...

Thank you Jenna and Amy!

Christie said...

ellen, the eyelet shots are great! i don't care what other people say about bw needs to be high contrast. sometimes i love low contrast! the small bit of blown window just makes the picture, imo.

would this be considered high key then? white on white?

the shots in your garage are very cool too. you make inanimate things come alive.

Ellen said...

Thanks Christie.. I have no idea whether it's considered high key or what, I don't know what the actual definition is.. You're probably right though. And yes, I think low contrast is really what's needed sometimes!

Rebekah said...

I love the one of the pan! The textures, light and B&W are all great. My favourites are the last two but the light in the second is wonderful. :)

Cyndi said...

Hi Ellen! I love, love, love the shot of the skillet. Awesome shadows. I would hang a print of that one in my home.

This is such a neat idea. I think you've inspired me to try my hand at shooting light as a subject.

You seriously are so creative. =)