Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Flowers for me
I got flowers today. From myself! :) There's a new little florist's shop down the street. The lady who owns it is so sweet, and she's often there working past 10pm. I really want her to succeed, so I've been buying far more flowers than I usually do (which is none). I decided I needed something beautiful today, so I stopped in on my way home from buying popcorn (my only outing today, except for walks with Sasha. I had popcorn on my mind all day!) I love flowers, my day was instantly brightened. We all need to treat ourselves sometimes, right?

Played with light more here, with varying results. I'd love to know your thoughts. I think the very last one is my favourite, but I enjoyed getting all of these. The dark ones took a lot of trial and error to get the exposure even close to right. The ones with black in the background were taken with the flower hanging from a beam in my garage. The window was to the side of the flower, putting quite a strong light on the flower but nothing else. So I exposed for the flower and everything else is black (well, except for the one where you can see the opening of the garage door!)

Thanks for visiting, and remember, I'm always open to CC :)

The dark (I can't choose between the second and third, opinions?):





And the light:


15 comments:

Tanya said...

My fav is #3. There is somthing very peacefull and zen like to it. Almost like its frozen in time. I love the black behind.

Jennifer said...

These are all awesome, great angles! But my faves are #1 and #3!! Love them!!

aboutimage said...

Wow! I love the 1st one, love the mood in the 2nd one. 3rd one is awesome and looks great - love it.

I love what you added in the 4th image - very creative :)

And nice light in the last two.

I can't wait to see what your doing next :)

Nicely done :)

jennkinsler said...

I like all of them, but I really like #3.

You can buy me some flowers LOL.
Jenn

Amy (3 Peas) said...

I like #3 for the dark- there's something calming and cool about it.
For the lighter ones- I like the 2nd :)

willowonthewater.com said...

Love the colors... but I have to say that I prefer the light. Maybe if the "dark" ones were standing upright, they just look so sad and lost, hanging upside down. The weather has been sad enough... I'me going for the light! Love the first light one.

Angela said...

Very interesting! I like the "dark side" of these. It's a different perspective most people don't think of. I like how you think outside of the box! Very creative and original!

Donna said...

I love your work! Everything you do is so clean!!! Don't you just love a good depth of field? You just posted on my blog and I wanted to come remind you to go get a backup drive...TODAY!!!!

Lulu said...

OH Ellen...sorry for not visiting sooner...I have been all tied up with school work too. I love love love love love love x55 the first one. You are so creative, and are improving in leaps and bounds. :)

m.e. said...

For some reason, #2 of the dark ones speaks to me. I think it's the partially opened door in the background. Light in the darkness ;-) Great shots!

Ellen said...

Thanks, guys! It's cool how everyone has different favourites..

I know those first 3 are pretty dark and the flower looks dead, but I was going for something moody. And I just really liked the lighting.

Thanks for visiting me, I really love reading all your comments. You really know how to make me feel all warm and fuzzy lol.

And Donna I signed up for an online backup service today :)

sherry boles~ said...

My favorites are the first three...However, I really am drawn to the second one. I just really like the mood created by the slightly open door in the background. Great job on these! :)

Christie said...

hi, ellen! you're making my brain work too hard this late at night. your images are thought provoking, lol.

i can't decide between 2 and 3. i love the partially open door but i also love the complete darkness too.

#4 is a bit too busy for me.

i love the lighter shots at the end too. they look like somebody forgot them in the middle of the city.

you're too cute about patronizing the flower shop too!

Ellen said...

Thank you Sherry and Christie! That's my dilemma between 2 and 3 too. #4 is busy, especially in comparison with the others.. I still liked it though, and I had to post it because I spent so long getting the flower and the tools properly exposed lol. Thanks again :)

A Thousand Words Photography said...

#1 is fabulous! What wonderful dramatic lighting :) Maybe the flowershop lady would hang your images on her walls! :)