Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Chicago!
Hi everyone. I'm so sorry it's been so long. Please forgive me? I spent most of Saturday and Sunday with a friend who's going through a really tough time right now, and then was busy getting ready for Chicago on Monday. I got some more shots with the wide angle lens before I gave it back, but nothing that I'm really happy with. I may share more of those later in the week. Thank you SO much for all the comments on my last post. I loved reading them and I really appreciate them!! It's so great to know that you guys liked them even though I wasn't so enthused. I think they're growing on me :)

I had a great time in Chicago! I felt so brave lol. I bought a day pass for the city trains and buses and went all over the place. No cabs for me! Even from the airport. I went to Lincoln Park to the zoo and conservatory, which are both free. Isn't that amazing? The Toronto Zoo is over $20/person. Then I took more trians/buses to Evanston where the school is. I really enjoyed it and I think I may end up going there. I'm still going to visit Buffalo though. I love that the school in Chicago is right on the lake! Here are some snaps from the trip. Sorry there are so many! My back completely gave out in the afternoon, so I didn't take many of the University or after that since I could hardly walk!

Here's the pass :)

City over Lincoln Park:


Flower. This is growing outside! We don't have anything like this yet in Toronto.

Cool flower in the conservatory:

Pulley wheel in the conservatory:

Abstract leaf:

I think this thing is so cool. I have no idea what it is though:

Red flowers:

Pretty white flower.. Really hard with the lighting not to blow this one, but I tried:

Dog in purse at conservatory:

Zoo!

I love giraffes.

Look at these guys! They were totally posing. Happy feet!

Random, but some light showing through the slats underneath the train station:

Pond thing at Northwestern:

Lake, with Chicago in the background. Notice the colour on the rocks, the students paint love notes and messages all over them!

Chicago from Northwestern, man on bench:

My glamorous Chicago dinner (after finding a Walgreens to get a heating patch and Advil for my back!):

A boat in the river? I didn't know Chicago had a river. Maybe it's part of the lake..

12 comments:

Dogeared said...

I think my favourites are the penguins, the Northwestern pic (the first of them, across the lake), and then the man on the beach. And below the Northwestern one, the bit with the painted love notes? How lovely a thing to do! Wonder if people go back in future years...

aboutimage said...

I forgive you :) but missed your posts.

Welcome back!

Love the photos. They are all great. Love the leaf

Jennifer said...

Ellen missed you, glad your back! Love all of these they are so great. You always give us something good to look at!

Rebekah said...

That's so cool! So you've decided on Chicago? It's actually the only city in the States that I've ever been to; we went there for a few days to visit friends when I was around 8 or 9. I still remember the Titanic exhibit in the museum! :P
I love these photos but my favourites are the dog in the purse, the light under the train station and the man on the bench. :)

Angela said...

Sounds like you had a great time! These are really nice photos. I REALLY REALLY like the light showing through the train station! That is so amazing, so full of character, such a beautiful conversion, so PERFECT!! Oh and I had to smile at the Happy Feet shot! My daughter just adores penguins!

Angie Penrose said...

I tried to comment once, but I wasn't sure if it worked, so sorry if this is a repeat. :) These are really great shots. The penguins shot is so cute and I love the one from under the train station and the man on the bench. Your conversion on those is really great. Looks like a fun trip. :)

Lulu said...

I missed you! :) But I'm glad you're back and had a fun time. :) Hope you are closer to making a decision. When would you be moving? I am coming to Toronto in July/August time! :) Almost for certain. :D

I love these, especially the last two...and what are you on about, not happy with your wide angle shots?! The previous post with it was pure brilliance Missy!! Hope your friend is feeling happier soon as well.Send my well wishes. :)

~ L

willowonthewater.com said...

I too love the man on a bench. Beautiful conversion. So glad you enjoyed Chicago.

Ellen said...

Thanks for missing me, guys :)

I'm so glad you guys "get" the shot of under the train station.. I love it, but I thought I might just be crazy!

Meghan said...

If you must stay in The North, I do hope you decide on Chicago. My husband's family is up there, so we'll be visiting the area from time to time. I would LOVE to spend a day with you and geek out with our cameras.

Also, I adore the black and white shot of the city from North Western.

And... the penguinos!

Amy (3 Peas) said...

Glad you had a great time in Chicago! It's a fabulous city- I'm there a few times a year usually :)

Christie said...

hehe, i can forgive you because i was gone too!

ellen, you have such style and funkiness (is that a word?) and you bring it to your photography.

i love the boat shot, the waves rippling. the man on the beach is cool. love the color on the rocks shot. that one really captures my attention.

the bw at the train station is cool. dog in the purse, LOL. i feel like i was there with you. i love seeing what captured your attention!