Friday, April 20, 2007

Going Wide
I decided to rent a super wide-angle lens this weekend, just for fun. It's not expensive at all (I don't think), $25 for Friday afternoon - Monday morning. I got the Canon 10-22mm. It's really cool! A totally different perspective than I'm used to. I have a Sigma lens that goes as wide as 18mm, but 10mm is REALLY wide. I like it though I think... I'm considering buying this or something similar, but I haven't decided yet. I'm also considering the 85mm 1.8. Go figure, I can't decide between two completely different things! I'm not too excited about these shots, but I thought I'd share my results anyway. I've got two more days, hopefully I'll improve. Does anyone else have a wide angle? I'd love to know what you think of it. Also, if you have tips to help me improve my shots from today please tell me! I was basically fumbling my way around, especially since I forgot to look at a DOF calculator for such wide focal lengths.

In other news (lol), I may be moving to Chicago instead of Buffalo! I have a thread on ILP asking for advice, but of course I have to let you guys know too. If anyone has opinions on either city, let me know! I'm going to Chicago on Tuesday to check out the school (Northwestern). I'm totally frazzled and worried I'll make the wrong decision. It was so easy when I didn't have a choice!

Oh. One more thing :) I made it so you have to click play on the music, just because of the chorus in case there are kids around. Click it though if there aren't, this is such an old song but I love it. I used to obliviously rock out to it when I was 11 :D

Here are the pictures... Taken on my way home from the rental place, almost all at 10mm.

Toronto City Hall with seagull (I know it's crooked lol):

City Hall skating rink/fountain.. Right now it's neither:

Along the side of City Hall:

A man. I paid him, don't worry. We had a good long conversation before I asked if I could take a picture. Notice the selective colouring.. Does it work?

Posing for a friend:

Fruit market:

Again:

Aaaand again. I love limes though, couldn't leave them out:

18 comments:

aboutimage said...

Great price on the rental! Vistek?

Love the photos. Nice select colour!

I LOVE your first three images - beautiful work with the lens.

Tough choice on the move - yikes! I loved Chicago when I was there. The people seemed really nice. That's about all I can say...not much help, sorry!

But, I look forward to the pics you'll take there -- you will take photos, right? :) lol

Good Luck!

Amy (3 Peas) said...

I LOVE the 3rd one- it's just super cool looking- love the perspective.
Chicago is lovely! I have family and friends there :)

Christie said...

LOL, chicago's good too! i'm sure it's a tough decision!

i think your wide angle shots are awesome, ellen!

so, did you talk to that man specifically for the purpose of taking his picture? was it awkward asking and then paying him? there have been times that i've been very tempted to do the same thing. good for you!

my nikon wide angle goes down to 18 and the one thing i always remind myself of is *to always remember to put something in the foreground". it really puts things into perspective and adds something to the shot.

i like your selective color, i think it works awesome. it puts the focus on the man while the background looks drab. great!

the limes shot is the only one that doesn't seem like the wide angle did anything special for it, kwim?

Ellen said...

Thanks guys! Yes, Jenna, it was Vistek. It's so reasonable! And of course I'll take photos in Chicago! lol. Thanks Amy :) Christie, I put some money in his cup (which he hid behind his back for the photo) first, then talked to him for a bit (weather, teens being crazy on the steps behind him, etc.), then I asked if he would mind if I took his photo. He said of course he didn't, that he hoped it would make him the next Canadian Idol! Lol. I was really quick and only took about 4 shots all in a row. Then I thanked him a lot and shook his hand. Very nice guy! Usually I'm too nervous to do stuff like that too, but I decided to just go for it. Thanks for the foreground tip! And you're right, the limes don't really look like they're wide angle. It definitely helped me get the shot though, the sidewalk next to them was so busy there'd be no way to get all those limes in the shot with the 30 or the 50 :)

Thanks again!

Angela said...

Nice shots! I love super wide angles! I love the first 3 shots! Very cool buildings!

I like the selective color. It keeps your attention on the man.

Jennifer said...

These are all awesome I love the selective coloring in the one of the man. These are all great I love seeing different and unique, beautiful. You always have an amazing view and beuatiful pictures!

Tanya said...

Oh, love the select coloring!!!!
And great view of city hall!

I lived in To for 5 years and it was great to see city hall again.lol.

Lulu said...

Oh Ellen - I adore every single one of these. My favourites from you EVER! Wow. They are so wonderful. You should definitely get a wide angle for good!

I love the last one, mmm limes, and the firt one...the ones at the market, the architecture...oh, everything! They are just beautiful. So photojournalistic and candid and just perfect.

Good luck with choosing about schools. I know you'll make the right decision; you're sensible like that. ;)

Stephanie said...

You have great perspective with your photos. I really liked reading the story about the pictures. I've never moved..or even been to..either of the places you're thinking about going to, so I'm absolutely no help to you in that department. Sorry! My husband is a Canadian..so I'm sure he'll enjoy the pictures you took from there. :D Great job! Love your blog..I'll be back. (no..I didn't say that like the Terminator..:D)

Side note: thanks for the comments on my blog. I am so glad to have a new visitor! :D

Rebekah said...

Oh, I love these! Especially the market ones. They are making me think that the 10-22 is the lens I should get for my trip to Europe! Did you take most of these at 10mm? Anyway, great pictures!

m.e. said...

Oh, I love these shots! All are great, but I think the limes are my favorite. But the lines and perspective in the building ones are super. Haven't been to Buffalo or Chicago, but I've hear awesome things about Chicago, and I have a friend moving there in a month. Where'd you rent your lens from? Does most any camera shop rent them? Also, you mentioned a DOF calculator. Is that on your camera or is it external? Or do you crunch numbers manually...argh! ;-) Not a math person here. Sometimes the technicalities of photography elude me. Happy weekend!

Robyn said...

Oh love those wide angle shots. I've been thinking of getting that lens. Good idea to rent it first to try it out. TFS

A Thousand Words Photography said...

Wow! Looks like you're having fun with the wide angle lens :) They're all great shots, as usual! Love the limes

willowonthewater.com said...

Ellen - you rocked that UWA! I see more still life images from you than portrait... so if are going to focus there, then get that UWA. The 85mm can wait! I purchased, and am now impatiently awaiting my UWA. I hope I do it justice that way you have.

Oh yeah... I personally dislike selective color, but you did it right. You kept the color on the item of interest. Well done Grasshoper! :o)

AmyC said...

Ummm...wow! These are AWESOME! I'm LOVING the first three & the fantastic lines in all of them! You have a great eye!

Meghan said...

I love them all (as usual), but that second one is my favorite. I love the human element complimenting the architecture.

Also, I could convince you to move further south, could I? You know, The Research Triangle area has some fantastic schools. And, Chapel Hill... two hours from the beach, two hours from the mountains and OH the scenery around here!

Unknown said...

Ellen, I love your site! I had fun reading it! We have so much in common, pico de gallo, photos... :)

jennkinsler said...

Great shots. Chicago is so fun.
Jenn