Wednesday, August 1, 2007

More Backlighting + Awards
Sorry again to the workshop people! Nothing new to see here :)

But for the rest of you.. Here's some more backlighting that I've been working on. I really like these, although I got some good CC on composition and colour on the workshop forum. I did change the colour according to the CC, but I think once I get back to my computer with PS I'll have to change it back, because to me these just look washed out now. Does that ever happen to you? That you prefer a photo before you apply the cc from the "experts"? I need to have more of a creative backbone I suppose. Although I'm standing by my comps on these. I don't care how wrong they are, I like them.. That's me being a rebel, in case you can't tell.

Meet my sister and brother, Anna and Harry. They were pretty good sports about this, for the first minute anyway...

85mm, f/2.5, 1/1000, ISO 100

85mm, f/2.0, 1.1250, ISO 100

85mm, f/2.0, 1/1600, ISO 100

___________________________________________________

Now for the second part of this post.. The lovely Jennifer has awarded me with a Thanks so so much Jennifer.. I'm more excited than a normal person probably should be! lol. Really, I don't know what to say, I'm sitting here blushing. But thank you!! And sorry for being sort of boring lately.. But I think my creative juices are starting to flow a little faster these days, so hopefully I should have something more interesting soon.

Now I'm supposed to award three of these to other bloggers who I think are awesome in their creativity, writing, music, layout, photos, whatever. General blog creativity and awesomeness. This was really hard to choose, but here are my choices (in no particular order):

1) Lulu. Because we all know that this girl is the queen of creativity, and she can take a picture of anything and make it look like art. Anything. Including a dying apple tree and laundry. And I love her music, her headers, her writing, and her comments on my blog and others. You know I love you Lulu!

2) Meghan. Because she always makes me laugh, she posts fun things like product reviews, her photos are awesome and so fun, and she's the mom I want to be when I grow up. Her little guy Xan is always gonna be a cool kid.

3) Amy C. Because I still can't get her pictures from China out of my head, and she takes beautiful photos in every situation no matter what. And she's funny and nice and her love for her entire family inspires me.

Thank you to all three of you, plus all the other bloggers out there, for all your inspiration and kind words and.. you know. All that nice stuff. So go hand out the award to three people who inspire you, if you feel so inclined, Lulu, Meghan, and Amy. But I'll still like you if you don't.

And p.s. if you asked questions in the comments of the last couple of posts they're answered!

11 comments:

Angie Penrose said...

Great shots Ellen! You're rocking the backlighting. Oh, to be like Ellen. :) Your amazing girl!

Lulu said...

Oh Ellen...that is so sweet! And that is just what I needed today, seriously. I am feeling so down in the dumps about my photography...but not so much anymore thanks to you! :) So thank you, thank you, thank you!

Also, I tried to e-mail you my picture to ellen314@gmail.com but it just won't work. I think maybe the files are too big? I just get a message saying error. I am going to try again on another email service but if it doesn't work I'll send you the prints...is that okay? :) I am still hoping to see you in Canada but we are so busy...and I haven't even asked my mum yet. I am spending 2 days in Oakville, 2 days in Toronto, a week in a cottage on Lake Ontario and a day in Ottawa. So...maybe we can meet up? If my mum says no or we don't have time, then I promise to come back when I am older for a trip dedicated to meeting you!

I love the photos - you rock backlighting. And you so deserve the creative award you received. :) Your sister looks a lot like you, I think!

Thank you SO much again. I am glad to call you a friend, Miss E.

Anonymous said...

Ditto to what Angie said! Amazing...your backlighting rocks! Actually your whole style rocks, I just love all your work. :o)

Jennifer said...

Oh i love your backlighting very nice!! And your always creative, in your words and your images!!

Tiffany said...

Great photos as always!! Great job with the backlighting!

Christie said...

ellen, i love seeing your brother and sister. these are wonderful comps, especially #3. i love that they look a little larger than life here, they look powerful. you did a GREAT job on the backlighting too.

Dogeared said...

Lovely backlighting! I totally understand sometimes preferring something pre-CC or "technically correct". I rarely do tilted shots due to that, and sometimes shoot centre rather than "golden rule of thirds" because I prefer the result on that particular photo.

Meghan said...

I adore that last shot - especially your sister's 'tude in it.

Also, I'm beyond flattered... but feeling wholly unworthy right now. Thank you, though. Coming from you, it means a great deal.

Tiffany said...

I agree with the 3 that you picked. Hey, if you love it, we love it too!!! LOL!!!

Unknown said...

Oh, Ellen! You are always so, so kind & so encouraging, and this just takes the cake! I am so beyond flattered that you chose me! Coming from you, this really means a lot considering that I think you're SUCH a fun, creative girl! And, the company you've placed me in... thank you SO much!

Isn't backlighting fun!?! You're rocking it, too, girl! I really LOVE everything about the third one! It has a retro feel to it or something...very cool!

Amy (3 Peas) said...

Nice backlighting!!! Well done!
BRAVO on the award- well deserved! :)