Saturday, August 11, 2007

Beautiful old things.

Some of you may be completely disgusted with me after reading this post, and that's ok. I get it. But I won't apologize :)

I've really been trying to figure out what kind of look I want to go for in my new apartment. I know that I need it to be beautiful and functional (very functional) - I end up living in filth pretty easily, so those cleaning products need to be within easy reach and the clothes hamper can't have a lid. I got some small things the other day at Ikea, have been packing the few things I already have, etc. I'm not taking a moving truck there because it's just too expensive, so I'll have to buy everything big when I get there (other than what can fit in my dad's mini van). I have, however, found some great stuff recently that I will be able to bring. Guess where? In the garbage. That's right. At the side of the road, on people's lawns, on the sidewalk. The highlights are a really cool telephone table with a seat that I'll use as a coffee table, a mirror (brand new!) with hooks underneath (the mirror is cracked, but it's only $10 to get the glass replaced while the whole thing retails for over $40), and the thing that's featured first in this post. Probably one of the things I'm most proud of owning, even though I've only had it for one day. I think it's so beautiful, and just so perfect. I'm so excited to have it in my living room. And I found it at the side of the road! It had a sign on it saying it was free to a good home.

Here it is (one part of it) - a Singer sewing machine in a wooden stand with drawers and an iron bottom! It even works! From what I can figure out it was made in Newfoundland in 1936. You've probably seen these before.. The sewing machine actually hides inside the table until you want to use it, so I can use it as a normal occasional table type thing or as a decorative piece with the machine out or I could actually try to sew with it.


Here's the base:


A view of the whole thing (excuse the setting.. Shooting with the 85mm inside a tiny house doesn't work too well):


And some detail shots... Isn't this the coolest free thing ever??





And then, when I was thinking about how beautiful the sewing machine is because it's so old, I got thinking about my violin. It's also old and very beautiful (although it's missing a string right now, I snapped it off lol). I don't play anymore, but did for a few years and I really enjoyed it. Aren't violins gorgeous? I love the curved edges and the deep wood tones. And this violin has a really sweet sound when you play it. This violin has been in my family for a while, and it's at least 100 years old. I think I'll start playing again sometime soon.







And here's the whole thing in a spot where I could back up a little more.

p.s. All edited on my laptop again, so don't judge me. And no b&w because I'm too scared to try in Elements.

p.p.s. I would never take anything upholstered out of the garbage. Just so you know lol.

p.p.p.s. Questions from the comments of the last 2 posts are answered.. Sorry I'm so slow about that.

26 comments:

Jennifer said...

These are so awesome, I think your conversions are awesome! I love that sewing machine, oh that takes me to my grandmother's house. She has that same sewing machine!! Thank you for sharing!

Angie Penrose said...

Love it, love it, love it!! These are the best kind of things to have in a home I think. I went antiquing today. Brought home all kinds of junk. lol! These are beautiful.

Donita said...

You are hilarious (and not disgusting), can't wait to meet you someday! I have a sewing cabinet just like that w/out the machine - that suckers gotta be worth some good money -if you are ever in a pinch. Your pictures capture the objects so beautifully! I love the violin ones, especially.

Dogeared said...

How cool! We don't tend to have things left out for free over here, it'd be nice! That sewing machine is cool :-)

Lipglossiping said...

Oh, I love it... you're new place is gonna look fantastic judging by your taste!

Tiffany said...

Fantastic Photographs!! You are so amazing and creative!! That sewing machine is in beautiful condition!! I can't wait to see photos of your new place and how you put things together! I hope you decorate with ALOT of your own photographs because they are such beautiful works of art! :)

Christie said...

LOL, i just love you more now! you are awesome and frugal. and girl, that sewing machine is so COOOOL! my mom has one almost just like it. those things are awesome to sew on. old singers will run forever and they sew great!

i play violin too and your pictures made me miss my violin. it's broken and not worth fixing. i would love to start playing again too.

Meghan said...

Bah! I tried to leave a comment last night but my space bar has been possessed by the devil.

I absolutely LOVE that sewing maching. In fact, I am straight up jealous. What an amazing design on the front plate.

Also, gorgeous shots. Did I ever tell you I played Viola? It was a long time ago... then I moved onto oboe (short stint with the French Horn) and now play guitar. I should take some pictures of her. You've inspired me (as always!).

Meghan said...

Machine, that is. Yes, the whole keyboard is possessed. I kid you not.

m.e. said...

I am so jealous, Ellen!! ;-) That sewing machine is an incredible find. I can't imagine anyone putting that out to the trash -- that breaks my little antiquity-loving heart ;-( And the violin is beautiful. Such a lovely instrument. And I think the conversions look awesome! I do my editing on a laptop (we don't own a desktop), and I have wondered if editing on a desktop would change the look of my photos? What's the difference? I'm curious. Is it the screen itself and the calibration capibilities?

I have a couple more quesitons for you if you have the time...I know you're busy so no worries if you can't get to them ;-)

1. I've been wondering how you were able to take the blogger tool bar off the top of your screen. I SO want to do that!!!

2. How do you create the watermark that you use on all your photos?

3. Oh, yeah, and also, what do you mean about the B/W conversion in Elements. I'm curious about that one too! Cuzzzzz, I'm poor, and I still have Elements ;-) Although, I have started using Lightroom and RAW presets, and I must say, it is THE BOMB!!!

Okey dokey, Ellen -- good luck with your move and decorating your apartment. I'm sure it will end up being the perfect representation of your cool self! ;-)

~Jen

Anonymous said...

That 'ol saying "one person's trash is another's treasure" is so right! I totally stand by that and say KUDOS to you Ellen! Awesome find! not disgusting...more like unique and creative. I love that.

sherry boles~ said...

Great images!
What a great find! I have two Singer treadles ("the bottom part") at my house! :)

Angela said...

Beautiful images! I love the different angles you've used here. That sewing machine is freakin awesome! I love any item that is old and vintagy! Your new place is going to look fab!

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Se você quiser linkar meu blog no seu eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso.(If you speak English can see the version in English of the Camiseta Personalizada.If he will be possible add my blog in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).

Amy (3 Peas) said...

BEAUTIFUL shots Ellen!!!!
I have a sewing maching that flips into a table too :) It was my grandmothers and I adore it! When the trio were babies we used it at their cribside table to hold their lamp and CD player :)
Gorgeous angles and DOF in the photos- just fabulous!

Stephanie said...

I LOVE THE FREE STUFF!! :D What cool finds! :D you're so like me. (not sure I should publicly say that I like finding treasures..Anyway..) Hope it all goes well with the new place. :D

Anonymous said...

these are soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo cool! love the dof on the violin... great job!!!

Unknown said...

I love old stuff! You took some cool shots! I have never enjoyed looking at a sewing machine or violin so much!

Tiffany said...

Still life is one of my favorite but I'm not good at it. These are all wonderful ellen...I love the violin!!!

Cyndi said...

I am so jealous. Really, really jealous. That sewing machine is BEAUTIFUL! I can't believe someone just put it outside for anyone to take home. (Did I mention that I'm jealous? haha) What a GREAT find! You must be so happy. I would be. =)
Oh, and I love violins, too. I think they're probably the most visually pleasing instrument there is. And they sound so haunting. Just lovely.

aboutimage said...

Ummm, do you have the 85mm 1.8???

Great finds! I love your still life pics -- you rock!

Megan said...

Ellen,

I can't wait to see your new place when it's finished..it's going to be fab! Lovin' all of your new finds..and love all of your shots..you slways csaptured such great detail.

~Stacey said...

Love these Ellen! I played the violin for 7 years when I was a kid. Every once in a while I think about starting up again but life keeps getting in the way..

Ellen said...

Thanks so much everyone! I loved reading your stories and comments.

Jen, sorry I took forever, but here are the answers to your questions (and of course I don't mind! I'm just slow):

1) I googled instructions on how to do it.. There are a few different ways I think, but it was really easy! Just google "remove blogger nav bar" and you'll find lots of info. You just have to edit the html slightly!

2) The copyright things are really easy. I just create a new document with a transparent background, make a black box, type the words on top of it in white, and "merge visible." Then I go to edit --> define brush preset (or something like that), and it makes a brush out of the object. Then you can make it any colour! It's really fast and easy.

3) I do all my b&w stuff in CS2, and I'm much more comfortable playing around with stuff there (lab mode, etc). In elements, all I really know how to do is desaturate and tweak levels! And I also have elements on my laptop, which has a terrible screen for showing detail in the shadows. So I just save all my b&w for when I can work on my "big" computer and pray that the colour coming out of my laptop doesn't look too crappy.

I hope that made sense, let me know if it didnt!

Ellen said...

Oh and I don't actually think there's a big difference with laptop vs desktop, it's more just that I know *my* laptop screen sucks for photo stuff. Not all laptops. Mine can be calibrated, but every time I've tried it's just gotten worse. I'm sure yours is probably much better though, your colour always looks great.

m.e. said...

I'm just looking at this, Ellen! Thank you SO much for taking the time to answer my questions. You are AWESOME, but I knew that already ;-) And so does everyone else!!!