Thursday, August 9, 2007

Malm? Billy? Galant? Where aaaaaare you?
Took a trip to the Swedish homeland today. You know, that giant store that will be my home away from home as I furnish my new apartment. The one with meatballs. Ikea! Lol. It may be crap, and I'm trying my best to find better versions of some things, but sometimes you just can't beat a flower pot for $0.59 or 12 cool spice jars for $8.00. And the meatballs just rock. I didn't make much of a dent in my Ikea purchase list today, but I did get a few things. And the trip was long enough to be worth it and short enough that I don't want to pull my hair out at the thought of going back. These photos aren't anything to write home about, but they're fun anyway. Although all I had was the 85mm, so I couldn't capture the sheer scale of the place this time. Next week maybe!

All edited on my laptop, so I apologize in advance.

Eating! The best part, so we did that first. Also because once you're through the store it's impossible to find the damn restaurant again.

The "free" $1.00 refill sign. Now *that's* a tough one to figure out.

Me, trying out a matress. Hustad? Hogbo? Hasselback? Don't ask. I took a close-up of the one I want though.

Children's Ikea. I love the colour!




Kid's chair bokeh.. Just fun :)

Ikea's new set of bowls. Genius. I propose a new name though: Bröstvårta. That's either nipple or nipple ring in Swedish, I'm not sure, but either one will work! Lol.

My small but heavy bags next to the broken bench I sat on to wait for the bus.

The end. Thanks for visiting!

13 comments:

Angie Penrose said...

Gotta love a trip to Ikea!! I need to go bad. I just got my catalog. These are really fun pictures. They made me smile. Glad you got to have those yummy meatballs. They look a lot better than the bowl of cereal I just ate for dinner! LOL!

Christie said...

awwww, ellen. i just love you! this post is so cute and so YOU! i love all the color and the bowls, LOL. you crack me up! and yum, you do such good product photography. those meatball shots made me seriously wish i wasn't vegan.

i would like to take my camera into a store for fun shots like this but then i read about other people being told they can't photograph anything inside of a store. ?

Amy (3 Peas) said...

LOVE IKEA- as do my kids :) It's a fave place of my g/fs and I- we meet for lunch afterwhich drop the kids in the playland and shop kid-free for an hour. It's a little bit of heaven I tell ya!
My DS loves the meatballs- i'm a freak for the chicken salad croissant personally.
Oh- and the stuffed animal in your photo? My DD sleeps with him everynight. He's her "Lenny the Giraffalump" :)

Dogeared said...

i would like to take my camera into a store for fun shots like this but then i read about other people being told they can't photograph anything inside of a store. ?

I ditto this - I'd love to, but would feel a bit self conscious [bagonhead]

Love the kids' section photos!

Anonymous said...

I love IKEA. More than 1/2 of our home is furnished by them...we keep thinking about getting "real" or "grown-up" furniture (as we jokingly say), but never do.. Just love the place and it's prices too much to change right now. :o) I love all your photos here...so fun!

Donita said...

Have the kids cups and chairs and table and...the list goes on. Love it! Love the pictures too.

Lipglossiping said...

Have I told you I love you lately? Please, please come to England so we can go to Ikea together!

Seriously, only YOU could do a photo post about Ikea and get away with it so fantastically! Love it!

Tiffany said...

Oh these are so fun!!
We just got an IKEA here in Utah~ I had been to them in California before and stocked up on frames and a basket and candles for gifts etc...but it is fun to have one near home now, although I have only been once. But I am sure I will make it there a bunch around Christmas time :)
Great photos as usual!! :)

Unknown said...

Ellen! It's been a long time! Lovin' your posts though!

m.e. said...

Wonderful, Ellen!!! I have been absent, and I am so sorry ;-( Thank you for your nice comments on my blog. Hope you are enjoying your summer. I need help on backlighting!!! ;-)

Ellen said...

Angie - Lol. Cereal is a sad dinner, but I do that all too often, don't worry! Haha.

Christie - Ikea definitely needs to make a vegan version of their meatballs.. I'm sure it's possible since they don't even really taste like meat! lol. I wondered if I'd be allowed to take photos in the store, but I decided to try.. No one even gave me a second glance! Weird. I was also taking close ups of the signs of things I wanted to buy though, so maybe that helped? No idea.

Amy - I'm definitely looking forward to taking my kids there someday. I can dump them off and shop! Haha. That's so cute about Lenny the Giraffalump, I love the name. I'll have to try that croissant sometime, although if it has mayo I think I'll have to pass. I have a huge aversion to mayo! Lol.

Helen - I get self conscious sometimes taking photos, but in Ikea I felt totally fine. I don't know why! You should try it.

Rebecca - Who needs grown up furniture anyway?? :)

Donita - Thanks!

Lottie - Trust me, I love you back. Come to Canada to go to Ikea! Haha I can just imagine us in Ikea together, it would be hilarious.

Tiffany - Thanks! You should definitely go, they have some really nice stuff right now.

Courtney - Hey! It's been a while. I have to add you to my bloglines, off to do that now!! Thanks for visiting :)

Jen - Heyy, how ya doin? Practice some backlighting and I'll comment on it, promise!!

aboutimage said...

lol, very cool to photo your trip to Ikea. I have those same cups and I want one of those chairs for my studio :) I just have not got around to it yet :(

great/fun pics!

Stephanie said...

IKEA is the best store ever!! I so miss going there..