Sunday, May 20, 2007

Walkin' on Sunshine
Woohooooo I'm excited. Can you tell??

Ok, cheesy title. And song. And first picture to go with it. But hey, what's life without a little cheese? Even the vegans can enjoy this type :)

So here I am, walking on sunshine.

And here's why!! I've been agonizing over lenses for a while. Macro, wide, telephoto, L, zoom, prime, it was like a synchronized swimming show in my head. I finally decided to get the best of both worlds, and went for the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 and the Canon 85mm 1.8. Together they came in under the price of the 17-55 2.8 I'd been considering before, and weren't much more than the Canon 10-22 on its own. The Sigma gets some great reviews, and I think it will be great. And the 85 speaks for itself. You all know how much I like a good shallow DOF, so the 85 is right up my alley. These are my graduation present from my mom.. So excited!! And I've never owned a brand new lens before :)

Here's the first shot off the 85.. Flower in the dining room.

And here's the same flower at 10mm:

I wanted to show you the card I made with one of the pictures from last week... Here it is, wide.


Here's a branch.. I'm so loving the 85.. So smooth to focus, lovely bokeh.. I'm in love. Of course I had to shoot wide open the whole time.

I've been jealous of all the dandelion shots I've been seeing lately, so here's my version. I think it's so pathetically cute lol.

A rake up against the wall.

Check out the airplane! Can you see it? Don't mind the power line lol.. I was just excited to be able to see it through the viewfinder, there was no chance of that with the 30. Thanks for looking! I'll hopefully have some more exciting shots with the new glass soon...

18 comments:

willowonthewater.com said...

WOW! Happy graduation to you... and what a great MOM you have! Can't wait to see more from your very cool "toys".

aboutimage said...

LOL! Awesome!!!

Wow, two -- your sooo lucky! I'm back to borrowing a wide angle and this time I'm using it.

Your pics are great! Way to play with DOF!

I've also heard great things about the Sigma. So far I'm liking it as well.

I'm soooo excited for you!!!

Have fun walking on sunshine :)

m.e. said...

Forgive my ignorance, but is the Sigma a wide angle? I don't know that much about lenses at this point. I have a 50 mm 1.8, but I hear the 85 is great. Love all your pix as usual. There's something about the dandelion that captivates me. Happy graduation!

Jennifer said...

What these are amazing shots, I love to come back to your blog and see what you have seen new! These are all awesome, nice lenses! I'm loving the feet shot very funny! Nice to get a smile and always do here!:)

Angie Penrose said...

I'm so jealous of your new lenses! :) You are going to love those. I love your dandelion shot. So cute!! Happy Graduation!

Anonymous said...

My 85mm 1.8 is my baby... I love it. I love the sharpness and the colour... muah.

Stephanie said...

Yeah for you!!! What a nice present! And looks like it's a fun one, too! :D Love the photos you're getting with the new lenses. It definately puts a new perspective on things. And your dandilion photo..reminds me of the Charlie Brown Christmas Tree..but so, so very beautiful. :D Great job!

Lipglossiping said...

Oh jeez I'm so jealous... I've been craving that sigma for ages and the 85mm... well dream lens!

Love that bokeh on the rake and dandelion... creamy!

Great shots and I'm excited for you too, although my generous feelings are still somewhat obliterated by my insane jealousy ;)

Julie ( THE Queen of TyPo'S) This chic can't spell!!! said...

Awesome! Congratulations on graduation and your new lens! Love this song, use it alot! Love them all, your danilion is so cute!

Dogeared said...

Yay for graduation, presents, and new lenses! (if only I understood the lens talk [bagoverhead].

Lovely photos, as always.

Rebekah said...

Congratulations! It must be exciting to graduate and get new lenses! ~So is the 85mm completely and utterly amazing? ;) I've been considering it...

So you and Lulu both have some amazing new lenses... I can't wait to see what you do with them! I love the ones you've posted here. :)

now I'm off to take pictures of my mom gardening... :)

aboutimage said...

Your tagged to list 5 reasons why you blog. Details on my blog :)

Meghan said...

Oh my. You LUCKY girl.

But, damn you deserve it. I can't wait to see more from these two lenses.

jennkinsler said...

Great pics, but the real reason i am here is to tag you. You have been tagged.
Now you have to list 5 reasons why you tag, and then tag 5 more people. Have fun playing.
Jenn

~Stacey said...

Tag you're it! Details on my blog.

Lulu said...

Woo, go Ellen! Lucky thing...I know you will ROCK these lenses, and judging by these shots you already are! Have fun with them. :)

Amy (3 Peas) said...

COngrats on the new lenses!! :)
LOVE that airplane shot!!

Tonya Boles said...

Great shots. I love the dandelion one.Wonderful job on it.