Saturday, May 5, 2007

Mishmash
Ugh, I suck. It's been almost a week! I'm sorry. I hope I still have visitors even though I've been violating the "keep your visitors by having a regular posting schedule" rule. Ah well. It's been a crazy week! In a mostly good way. I've decided to go to Chicago for sure, so I'll be going there again this week to look at apartments. Wish me luck, I've never apartment hunted before! I'll definitely have my camera with me :)

I'm debating what type of lens I should get right now, so if you have any suggestions please let me know. What have you found most useful for urban/travel photography? I want something new for my trip to Havana in June, but I can't decide whether to go wide (10-22) or long (100mm macro). I can really only afford one. I've also been considering the Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS, which is supposed to be a great lens. But I'm worried it won't be wide enough or long enough! Ugh. Let me know if you have suggestions.

I'm starting to get sad about moving away, especially from the little ones I babysit. Tonight one of them told me "never forget how I run. Even when you're in "Cheego". Never ever ever forget." How can you not melt when you hear that??

These photos definitely need some explanation, so I hope you all actually read what I'm writing!

Had a fun "shoot"with a friend and the girl she looks after and I'm really happy with the results. I can't share them, but here's "B" when she decided she'd had enough....


And just for fun, here's me! Circa 1986:

1995 (yes, that's Sasha!):

And here are more shots from the 10-22 rental. I'm not really happy with them, but I played around with vintagey noisy looks. I think they're kinda cool. These are all from Chinatown.





And here's the view looking down with the 10-22 (cropped!) :)

14 comments:

Angie Penrose said...

Ellen, so fun to see your new post. Your pictures are great as always. Good luck finding an apartment in "Cheego". That is such a fun town. :)

Lulu said...

I missed ya! Hope you had a good week. :)

Those words of the child...they just make one's heart melt! I'm so glad you shared the rest of your 10-22 shots...so fun! And you are much too hard on yourself. These rock! I love the watermelon one (well, I think they are watermelons anyway)!

I think you should go for the wide. That's just me though...I love wide angles and I think they are more versatile than telephotos. The only thing is the variable aperture with the wide, it's not a 2.8 is it? Or it might be, I just assumed it was 3.5-5.6 or something similar. :) The macro would be fun too though. I think you'll end up happy with whatever you get really.

Love the timeline of your childhood...look at Sasha! So sweet! How old are you now? I always forget.

Good luck looking for apartments in Chicago!

Jennifer said...

oh, Ellen good luck apartment shopping, you'll know when you have found the right one! I'm so sorry you are sad about this move, I've been there and done that too many times to count, it will get easier, I promise! Just take lots and lots of pictures to remember everyone by, and just call or write to keep in contact with them! Love your pictures they look great to me, I really love to see your view of this world! Beautiful captures as always!

m.e. said...

It's hard to move away from what you know to a new place -- I've done it a few times. But you'll settle in, I'm sure, and love Chicago. Your shots are great, as always. I'm thinking of renting a wide angle myself. Love the Tracy Chapman, by the way ;-)

Meghan said...

w00t to C-town! I'm looking forward to actually having the chance to meet you. :)

And, can I copy your "do not copy" banner"? It's brilliant.

Also, love the last shot.

Julie ( THE Queen of TyPo'S) This chic can't spell!!! said...

All great, love the last shot. What a cute little girl you were!Congrats on your decision to move to chic-a-go!

Sorry if this is a double post!

Ellen said...

Thanks so much guys!

Thanks Angie :)

Yes Lulu, they're watermelons. I expected you to like that one lol. The 10-22 is f/3.5-4.5, a bit slow but I didn't find it to be a problem when I rented it since slower ss's are manageable at such wide angles.. Thanks for the thoughts! Oh and I'm 22 now :)

Thanks Jennifer! You're right, I need to make sure I take lots of photos before I leave.

Jen you should totally rent a wide angle, it's such a fun change from the normal. And as Lulu says, really very versatile!

Meghan, I can't wait to meet you! It'll be so fun. And of course you can copy my banner, I'm glad you like it :)

Thanks Julie! My mom thinks I was cute too lol

Amy (3 Peas) said...

I love the one in the restaurant :)

Congrats on Chicago- you'll love it! When do you move?

Angela said...

Congrats on Chicago! And good luck appartment hunting!

Your photos are always so refreshing! I love them all, as always!

aboutimage said...

Fun pics Ellen!

Congrat's on the big move. I hope apartment shopping goes well. Good luck!

For the wide angle did you rent a Canon or Tameron? I find the Tameron a bit soft so if you go with the wide angle I think the Canon is a better buy, but that's just what I think though :)

Stephanie said...

Hee hee.. love the picture of 'had enough'. That's SO how my kids are. But hey, when they're done..they're done! :D Way cute! :D

willowonthewater.com said...

Ellen, based on you continually rocking the UWA, I vote you buy that. You work magic with it, and I am already eagerly awaiting your photos from Havana with it! Good luck with your move to Chicago. My oldest daughter is dying to go to Lollapalooza there this summer... something to check out.

Ellen said...

Thanks guys! Willow I'm sooo conflicted on the lens. Thanks for your wide-angle vote of confidence! And I'm definitely thinking Canon Angela, thanks!!

I won't be moving until September, Amy.. I'll update more on that later since I just wrote a new post but forgot to talk about it lol!

Christie said...

don't feel bad about not posting. i have been very bad lately too.

ok, so you do babysit. ignore my question in your most recent post, ok?

what a sweet, sad comment! you must take good care of those kids. :)

i don't think i realized how young you are, ellen! those are adorable shots of you!

i don't do travel photog. but i would probably go with the long lens. you already have a 30 for indoors, right? i would imagine the long lens would be invaluable for street photography.