Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Blast from the past
Wednesdays I'm in school from 11am-10pm, so there's not much time for picture taking. Tonight I really felt like doing something photography related, even if it wasn't taking pics. So, I went through some older files and these 2 jumped out at me. I must be in a nostalgic mood.

This is one of the little characters that sit by our plates at Christmas. My grandparents lived in France for a while, and I think they go them on a trip to Germany while they were there. These little guys are old and falling apart now, but I can't imagine a Christmas without them... Family traditions are cool, I'm going to try to appreciate mine more I think. Usually I just roll my eyes.


This is a little clown. Obviously :P
I love clowns. I have a whole collection of clowns, some beautiful, some cuddly, some creepy. When my grandmother announced she was moving into a nursing home last year and wanted us to claim what we wanted from her apartment, all I could think of was the little box of clowns. There are 3 little clowns like this in an old blue Birks box. I used to take them out of the drawer and play with them whenever we visited her house. And now I have them. I think they're my favourite clowns of all. I felt really guilty when this one kept falling off the fence into the dirt while I tried to take his picture.. They don't sit up very well!


7 comments:

AmyC said...

Aw, what sweet stories you have for both of these pictures! I need to start photographing & appreciating the things like this in my own life. Thanks for the inspiration!

Your DOF in both of these is awesome, too! I love a shallow depth of field! :-) Nice colors & composition, as well!

Christie said...

i wish i could be creative like this. i love the gnome and the clown, great dof.

i just realized you are the one who posted that *hilarious* thread on ILP where you posed the male doll in different spots. omg, that had me almost in tears!

i think you will be a good photographic influence on me. :)

Lulu said...

I love you Ellen. You are lovely. :) These are great shots.....nice dof! =)

Ellen said...

Amy, thanks for your comments! I find it hard to belive I could inspire you, your work is so awesome. Thank you!!

Christie, you definitely can do stuff like this! Just take pictures of random things like I do, and you'll end up with something that looks cool... Glad you liked Pedro :) I'm glad to have you visiting, I'm not vegan but I cook a lot of vegan food, have you checked out the food links I have at the right? They're awesome.

Lulu, you're too sweet! I love you too and you're even more lovely than me :) Thanks, girl.

Julie ( THE Queen of TyPo'S) This chic can't spell!!! said...

DOF is awesome here, what lens are you using!!!

Julie ( THE Queen of TyPo'S) This chic can't spell!!! said...

DOF is awesome here, what lens are you using!!!

Ellen said...

I used the canon 50mm 1.8 for both of these shots! Great lens, and not expensive at all.