Thursday, July 26, 2007

Late again
Hi guys! I feel like it's been a long time.. Although I have sort of "spoken" to many of you over the week through email. Thank you so much to those of you who have sent photos.. I love them all! And please, to the rest of you.. Don't stress! I just want a fun reminder of all my photography friends. And lurkers, occasional commentors (that's you, Helen) and anyone else who might feel out of place or weird or whatever, stop. I would love to have a photo from every single person who's ever visited this blog, even if they just typed the address wrong! I love you all. So please, don't be shy. And again, just so it's clear.. Send me a photo, any photo that you like of where you live or something you love. It would be best sized at 4x6 300 dpi so I can print it easily, and if you can find a way to sign it in photoshop that's awesome (but not required!). I will post a photo of the display in September after I move! Thanks again everyone, I'm loving what I've got so far. And if anyone else (someone already asked) wants a photo back from me, I'm happy to send one of your choice or mine. Just let me know!

Now for this post.. These photos are from last Saturday, and I'm just now getting around to posting them. You may have already seen some of them on ILP or the lighting workshop forum, if so I apologize! But I really like these so I wanted to post them. I've been practicing backlighting more, for the workshop (which I love! It's Deb and Dee's Creative Light workshop, it's awesome), so that was the main goal of this "shoot." I took some other shots too though of course!

We ate cookies:

Spied on the neighbours (well, their cats...):
And looked at Ellen sadly while she made us stand with the sun to our backs.




Then we danced!

And just for fun.. The fingerprint bandit shows no mercy :)


Thanks for visiting :)

14 comments:

Angie Penrose said...

Hey Ellen, that shot with the sun flare is so cool!! You're amazing. Looks like a fun afternoon!

Christie said...

hmm, ellen. how can we know you won't print them up at walgreens? LOL, i'm totally kidding!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the sunflare you got and all the gorgeous backlighting. it's really awesome.

p.s. if i don't forget, i fully intend to send you a picture.

Lulu said...

Oh my gosh, Ellen! Those backlit ones are absolutely AMAZING! Seriously. The best from you yet. They are just gorgeous....I'm going to go on about them for ages now :P ;)
I saw the correction in your e-mail address so will definitely send my picture over to you asap. Have a great weekend!

Megan said...

Ellen..I am loving all of you backlighting..they are fab..and the dancing sunflare shot is too cool. I have been thinking of taking that workshop.jsut might have to do it.

I'd love to send you a picture..but not much intersting going on here..just my kids, my kids, and more of my kids...ha!

Jennifer said...

These are so cool, you know how to rock that back light girl!!

Dogeared said...

Do you have a link to the workshop? Or any websites or forums you use? I know you have some links in your side panel, but I don't know what would be best for lighting, or best for learning portraiture, say.

I'll have a look at photos. I can think of two favourites of mine - one is an amazingly orange sunset, taken with a normal point and shoot digital camera, nothing fancy. The other is with my Canon 400D.

I'll email you when I choose one!

Stephanie said...

Fun fun fun!! I love the shots with the sun to their backs. Perfect! :D

Anonymous said...

Awesome back light. Love these photos! I will lurk no more, I am stepping out to say HEY ELLEN! :o) hehe. Love your work!!

Amy (3 Peas) said...

LOVE the backlighting!!!!!

Katie said...

Love all of these Ellen! I like the dancing one a lot!

I really want to take that workshop! Is it awesome?

I sent my picture. :)

Meghan said...

The second to last photo is one of my all-time favorites. Stunning.

And, damn... I need to choose a photo to send you, don't I?

aboutimage said...

Wow, your colour is gorgeous! Nicely done. This is something you picked up in the workshop? I nned to learn as I struggle with colour.

And thanks for the reminder...I forgot about sending a pic. Still no idea what I should send but I'll come up with something and I'll get it done today.

Ellen said...

Thanks guys!

Angie - Thank you! I love this style.

Christie - Thanks! And lol about walgreens. I'll hold you to the picture promise!

Lulu - Thank you so much! You're so sweet to me. And I do still expect a photo from you! :D

Megan - A picture of your kids would be fine with me! I love your stuff so don't hold back.

Jennifer - Thanks girl.

Helen - My favourite forum is ilovephotography.com. It mainly focuses on child portraiture, but it's a huge vibrant community and you can learn so so much that applies to all types of photography. I've learned pretty much everything there. The workshop is put on by the person with the username "detra" at ilp. I think this is the last time they're putting it on though, and it's not really an introduction to photography. I actually wouldn't really recommend it, I'm enjoying it but I'm still not sure it was worth the price. But definitely check out ilp, you'll love it. And you have to send me a pic! I'm sure both of the ones you mentioned are great, and the most important thing is that they'd be from you of course.

Jinksee - Thanks!

Rebecca - Yay, a delurker! I love those. Thanks for your comment, I love having new friends.

Amy - Thanks!

Katie - Thanks! The workshop isn't quite what I expected, but I do enjoy it. I'm not sure they're doing any more of them though. But if you really try to practice backlighting and look up info on the internet I think you'd probably come up with awesome stuff as well.

Meghan - Yes you do need to pick a picture. Don't forget lady!

Jenna - Thanks for the comment on colour, I feel I struggle with that.. I just play around with various things lol.. I've been using a lot of selective colour layers lately, so maybe that's helping. And I still want your pic!

aboutimage said...

I know, my emails isn't working from hom. I have to go to the library to send out. Hopefully I'll get it to you today. I know what I'm sending now :)

-- love your work!