Tuesday, July 10, 2007

I'm Baaaaaack
Did you miss me? I hope so, because I missed all of you! Reading blogs has become such a part of my daily routine now that it was really strange to not be keeping up with everyone. Meghan, I was thinking about you and your house all the time, Lulu I wanted to know what you were up to and how your exams were going, Jennifer I was sure I was missing lots of awesome photos at your blog and missed your faithful comments, Rebekah I was at a beach in Cuba that reminded me so so much of the beaches of Lake Huron, it was crazy.. Sigh. I can't mention everyone, but I hope you know I mean it when I say that I really did realize how much I just *like* all of you while I was away! And thank you for the comments on my last two posts, I loved reading them when I got home.

Now, onto Cuba. Some of you wondered what I was doing there, so I'll explain a little about that.. This was my 5th trip to Havana, my best friend and I were lucky enough to meet a family there 4 years ago who have taken us in and become some of the best friends/chosen family you could ever imagine. It's such a treat for us to get there and just live in the culture for a few weeks. We stay with our friends, right in the middle of Central Havana. I love it so much, it's hard to describe. There's nowhere that I feel happier or, strangely, more at home. It's no luxury holiday (our friends live in a 1 bedroom apartment, so it's our friends and us all sleeping together (husband, wife, 10-year-old daughter and us), but we wouldn't trade it for anything. I have so many stories that I don't even know where to begin to tell them. I wanted to organize my pictures by theme, or at least by date when posting them here, but through my tears today (I'm hate leaving them behind, hate it. I cry for days every time) only certain photos spoke to me. So those are what you'll see today. I'll post more for sure, I took over 2000 photos while I was there. All snapshots, but I'll post some with stories over the next few days.

Here's beautiful Helen, our friends' daughter. She dances beautifully and gets straight A's. She always does her homework right away and never gets in trouble at home. And she's got spunk. Lots and lots of it. She and her friend Raul drive their teachers crazy with their antics, and she and her cousin Daisiris write inspired songs with titles like "Lunch," "Ham," and "Hair Relaxer." She loves to hear stories about Canada, about the kids I babysit and the crazy people on the subway. Her favourite song right now, that her toddler cousin from France taught her, is "We will, we will F*** you, F*** you!" (i.e. F instead of "rock"). She totally knows it's a bad word, but pretends that she doesn't. She does gangster rap motions and sings it to everyone she meets who speaks English. She knows I know she knows, but she also knows I'd never tell her parents!

Both this picture and the next one were taken in the one spot in their house with good natural light, the doorway from the little laundry balcony into the bedroom. I just love the light there. It's a tight sqeeze though, especially with the 85mm.

85mm, f/1.8, 1/400, ISO 200

Helen's grandmother brought her cousin Jan Carlos over for some pictures since she doesn't have any of him. Isn't he gorgeous? He's 3.

85mm, f/2.5, 1/250, ISO 100

Tiny (and well-dressed) photography fan at an art market/street party:

85mm, f/2.2, 1/320, ISO 100

Fun light in the evening. This is the capitol building, modelled after the US Capitol Building. It's not used for government proceedings anymore though. We live right close to here. I played around with this a lot, and added some texture. I've never done that before, so tell me if it's terrible!

10mm, f/11, 1/250, ISO 200

One of our neighbours feeding her granddaughter on the stoop of their building. Accidentally at ISO 1600, I had just walked out of the house and didn't realize. Ah well, I like grainy b&w :)

30mm, f/4.0, 1/125, ISO 1600

Shoe store on our street. There are lots of commercial shoe stores in Cuba where you can get Nike, Puma, Fila, etc. shoes, but they're the same price as in the rest of the world, which can be a year's salary for many Cubans. So stores like this exist where they come and trade shoes or pay around 10 cents for a pair. All *very* used. If anyone's ever going to Cuba, take old shoes! Much more useful than the traditional gift of soap.

30mm, f/3.5, 1/100, ISO 800

A man who always sits outside this expensive hotel begging. I don't think I've ever seen anyone give him anything. He makes his hat fresh out of the newspaper every day, without reading it. "It's all that it's good for" he told me. After I took the photos and showed him on the LCD, he laughed for a good 3 minutes straight. "Look at that, look at that. How handsome." I gave him $2 and he decided to call it a day early.

Both 30mm, f/2.0, 1/500, ISO 800

18 comments:

Dogeared said...

Ellen, these are awesome! I loved seeing them, thanks for sharing [hug]

Megan said...

Ellen..so gald your back.. and so glad you had a great time. These are all so fantastic, they all say so much.. the shoes, the grandmother feeding her grandchild, and the old man with the hat..that one really speaks to me..that last one is WOW!

Can't wait to see more..Thanks for sharing

Tiarra - Little Faces Photography said...

I am always blown away by your pictures! You really are amazing, I am glad your back and glad to hear it went great. Can't wait to see more pictures!

willowonthewater.com said...

Welcome home! LOVE LOVE LOVE the last two. You really captured something amazing in his eyes.

Tanya said...

Hooray, your finally back!!
Ellen these shots are great. I was also in cuba in may and feel very much the same way you do about it.
It so full of soul. Im such a fan of your work...
Looking forward to seeing some more!

Katie said...

You're Back! I saw your comment on my blog and I was like, "what a minute, Ellen's back?" lol.

Your photos are AMAZING! I'm in awe of your experience and the moments you've captured. The last two and the story that goes with them had me in tears. Very powerful! The conversions are great.

Can't wait to see more!

Jennifer said...

Ellen I missed you so much girl! I missed your views and your thoughts and your photos! I am so glad you had a awesome time while you where gone. These photos are amazing and they have so much feeling and meaning behind them and the stories I see with these, all I can say is WOW! You totally rock girl and glad to have you back! I can't wait to see more!

Cyndi said...

Ellen! I am so glad you're back and thrilled that you enjoyed your trip so much. You were definitely missed, though. =)

Your photographs are, as always, stunning. I like the texture on the one with the capitol building. It was just the right amount. But I have to say my favorite is close-up of the man in the wheelchair. The lighting is very dramatic with one side of his face in shadow. And his eyes...wow. I'd say that is a magazine-worthy shot. Like something I'd see in National Geographic or something.

I look forward to you sharing more from your trip! =)

Christie said...

wonderful, ellen! welcome home. :)

Angie Penrose said...

Ellen-so glad to see you are back. Looks and sounds like you had an amazing time and your photos are spectacular! Welcome back!!

Amy (3 Peas) said...

WELCOME BACK!!!
WOW Ellen- fabulous photos- the 3 b+ws are just STUNNING- I love your conversions- so crisp and great contrast....just spectacular!

aboutimage said...

Yes, I missed you! Glad to see you back :)

Helen is gorgeous -- wow!

All your images are beautiful with great stories.

2000 images -- another wow! That must take awhie to go through but I'll be looking forward to more

Rebekah said...

Wow, these photos are amazing! I love the first and last, especially. The texture looks great on the one of the Capitol building! I love the stories... especially of the man outside the hotel and Helen. I bet you have a million and one stories to share - I can't wait to hear them! :) I'm glad you brought your camera with you. I really regret leaving mine at home when I went to Winnipeg - I met some amazing people and I really miss them... I only knew them for four days and cried on the airplane home, so I can imagine what it's like to leave your friends in Cuba... :( Anyway, I should get back to work, but I'm looking forward to your next post!

sherri said...

Wow, I loved hearing about your trip, and these images are amazing. I missed you Ellen!

Ellen said...

Thank you so much for your comments, everyone! I love reading them.. It feels nice to be warmly welcomed back here, I was worried you might have forgotten about me! Not really, but still. Thanks.

It sounds like the old man pictures are the favourites.. I really love them too, I was so excited to have gotten them somewhat right! I only took 3 I think, and was shooting in jpeg b/c i was running out of space, so I was worried I'd ruined those.

Thanks again for your visits and comments.. I love having you here! If I could serve drinks I would :)

sherry boles~ said...

WONDERFUL B&W conversions, Ellen! Your images are so beautiful!

Meghan said...

I didn't think it was possible to miss someone's blog entries so much!

I'm glad your back.

Oh, and FUCKING AWESOME photos.

My favorite is the capitol building.

Lulu said...

Oh Ellen! Thank you SO much for sharing, so so much. :)
I loved reading about your trip, it sounds such a wonderful family and such a vibrant and bustling country. Your photos are wonderful...so full of life...I love the one with the sunflare, and the two of the man.
I giggled senseless at your stories of Helen and laughed at your 'photography fan' statement.

Oh, and I missed you too. ;)