Monday, October 15, 2007

Food, glorious food
Sometimes there's nothing more beautiful than something to eat. You know those times, when it really doesn't matter *what* it is, just as long as it's in front of you and meant for your consumption. On Saturday after a long day of observing therapy sessions (I have to do 25 over the next while so that I can start actually performing speech therapy), some friends and I went to Panera for a bite. And let me tell you, it really hit the spot. It wasn't just that it was good (which it was, although I'll argue that my black bean soup is tastier!), it was that it was warm, available, and mine! And that was the best. While we were in line, I was admiring all the textures and tones of the bread on display. It all looks so beautiful, and of course tastes amazing (although again, I'll argue that the bread I baked from scratch the other day was actually more delicious than the loaf you'll see below... It was ugly though, so no pictures). So I picked up a few items and decided to photograph them this morning before they were sliced and put in the freezer. I was going for detail here (remember? One of my challenges) and placed the bread on a wooden chest that I thought would compliment the tones of the bread. I thought a deep conversion worked well with these (it's actually Brenda's b&w II with various changes), but please do critique this. I still don't feel confident at recognizing what's good and what isn't in black and white images. I think I may put a couple of these in my kitchen, so let me know which is your favourite! I'm really looking for hard critique this week, so don't hold back :)

As always, thanks for visiting! I'm going to go into last week's comments and answer questions now, so if you asked one go back and check!

13 comments:

Stephanie said...

Let me see..do I love food? Now there's the million dollar question! :D And these pictures don't help any. Trying to control my preggo weight gain to only 60 pounds..not 600, ok? However..I can look all I want at these bread loaves. Delicious! (Can a picture be delicious??) :D

Donita said...

I think the trio would look great in your kitchen. I like them all, especially the 3rd one.

How you liken' Chicago? I really should meet some time for a photoshoot...I love that city!

Angie Penrose said...

Yummy! What fun photos. I love the first one. Panera is so good!

Dogeared said...

Well they all work for me!

Toni said...

how is that you made bread look so beautiful! Love these!! now I wanna go take pictures of bread!

Anonymous said...

Love them all, and they taste so good, good thing I am eating something right this moment! Love that these are in black and white!

Megan said...

I really like them all..and think the conversion works well here..but if I had to choose a favorite..it would be #3..

Christie said...

hi ellen! you leave me the sweetest comments, thank you! let me tell you, i'm looking at these at my mom's house so i can't really trust her nmonitor but i'll give it a shot at some cc.

#1- i have mixed feelings about this one. it looks like it's floating and i wish i could see more detail in the table. by that, i mean i wish it was a little less contrasty (and believe me, i LOVE a good contrasty bw). the floating intrigues me and leaves me guessing and i DO like that but i think if the contrast was less and i could see more table, the picture would feel more warm and relaxing, does that make sense? lol right now, it looks artsy and i would like to see it more homey but that is totally personal preference too.

#2 is my favorite. it looks warm and delicious. i love the detail, the conversion and how the edge of the bread on the right fades into dark shadow. very intriguing. beautiful job!

now #3 has some really cool contrasting texture. it feels fun and little whimsical. it really keeps me looking at it and thinking about it. i wonder how it would look with a tilt to it. i think i might like it even more.

hope this is helpful to you!

Meghan said...

I love #3... in large part because it looks like a Nanukshuk. :)

Unknown said...

i'm loving your work...very, very nice!

sherry boles~ said...

Oh, my these images are delicious, I mean...uh...beautiful! :)

Tiffany said...

okay. I have to admit aside from Lulu, you are one of my favorite in Still life and nature photography...the photojournalistic style just makes me so envious!!!!

The bread just has a sense of drama in it, how the heck do you do that!?!?!?!? LOL!

Markissaearle said...

Hello!
I just found your blog today and I am so happy to have found you! Your photography is great and I LOVE it
Love the bread here, they look so good and are really making my mouth water! Yumm!
Cheerio
-Melissa E Earle