Monday, September 10, 2007

Saying goodbye (or starting to)
I said goodbye to some of my babysitting kids the other night. It was sad, I've known them since the oldest had just turned 2! So I've really watched them grow up. I spent almost every day in the summer with them for years, I've known their teachers, friends, and family. Of course I'll see them when I come back home for vacations, but still.. They're going to grow and I won't be there! They know my program is 3 years, so when I was leaving they said (from oldest to youngest) - "see you when I'm 11!," "see you when I'm 9!," and "see you when I'm 18!!" Lol. I don't know where she got 18 from, she's only 4. But at least I can take comfort in the fact that I'll be gone for 3 years and not 15! Lol.

We took some pictures so that I'd have one of the three of them to put somewhere in my apartment, and just had a really fun night.

I couldn't get the colour right on this one, but I still love it. I may go black and white I guess.

30mm, f/2.5, 1/100, ISO 200

What do you think of the conversions on these next 2? I know they're sort of dark, I was trying something new to go for a more deep filmish b&w look. Well, sort of trying, sort of accident. Feedback would be great :)

30mm, f/2.5, 1/200, ISO 200

Of course we had to try out the self-timer.. This was the only semi-decent one, I don't like it of me but the idea of it is nice lol.

30mm, f/5.0, 1/100, ISO 400

I know he looks a bit goofy here, but I still love this one.. His eyes in it are so cool! I finally believe the people who say they didn't do anything to the eyes, because I didn't do anything here. The blurry gray thing is his sword :)

30mm, f/2.5, 1/200, ISO 200

Poor C had to get her hair cut off due to the recent lice problem. It looks pretty cute though, and luckily she loves it!

85mm, f/2.0, 1/250, ISO 400

A decided to get out her camera, so I had to shoot her shooting me :)


Then we had cookies.. Mmm, cookies...


And then we played Sorry. I was in a moody/grainy b&w mood when I processed these. Her pj's have been through all 3 kids, and she was playing with her feet for the whole game. Love this kid!


I'm going to try to post once more before I move on Friday! Working hard to get *OUT* of the funk for good. Thanks for all your encouragement!

21 comments:

Stephanie said...

Sweet, sweet kids. :D They sound lovely and like they just adore you! :D I like your B/W photos. Love the dark shades of them. :D

Angie Penrose said...

So cute Ellen. What a fun memory for you and them. :) Love the black and whites. They have such a cool tone. I pciked up an old metal ceiling tile from an old movie theater. It's so cool! I'll have to send you a picture. I'll be landing in Chicago on my way to cleveland next week. I'll be thinking about you! good luck with your move. :)

Julie ( THE Queen of TyPo'S) This chic can't spell!!! said...

Well first thing I noticed before reading was I LOVE that conversion!!! How sad that you will leave these specail kids, but you must move on (I am not sure I ever figured out what program you are doing? I know WHERE lol.) Oh gosh if I could find a babsitter/photograper like you where I live, I would be one happy girl lol! Anyway, your pictures are great, and LOVE the dirty shirt, so CUTE!!! I can't wait to some of your chic-a-go pix, once you get there!

sherry boles~ said...

Wonderful photos, Ellen! These certainly don't look like you are anywhere near 'a funk'!

Anonymous said...

What fun photos and memories you created here. I personally love your conversions. I also love the 1st shot where you mentioned the coloring wasn't right. I truly think it's great. Good luck with your move! Can't wait to hear that you arrived to the new place and are settling in. :o) You have obviously touched the hearts of these little ones (as they have yours as well) and you'll always be close to them...

Rebekah said...

Ellen, these are great - I especially like the grainy black and white. It will be fun to see how much they grow up while you are gone! Hopefully you can go back for Christmas or Thansgiving once in awhile! :) Good luck with the move!

Anonymous said...

You are NOT in a funk, girlie! These are the best portraits I have ever seen from you. Gorgeous!! :)

It must be so heartbreaking to leave all your kids...I know I would be so sad to leave all my Girl Scouts and Brownies behind. Hopefully you;ll meet some lovely new kids in Chicago though. :)

Did you get my e-mail with pictures attached? Oh ... and I am still planning to do a Canada post on my new blog (thanks for your comment, btw!) so look out! Proofing is just taking longer than I envisioned.

Anywho, good luck moving! If you don't post before then. great shots...good luck, and get some self-esteem! You are too hard on yourself ;)

Love ya as always, l.

Jennifer said...

Girl I love your moody black and whites! You totally rocked these girl! I especially love the first 3!!

Meghan said...

I love all the photos in this post, but my favorite is actually the first one. What a phenomenal capture. I don't even care that the color isn't perfect, I wouldn't go B&W with that one. There's something about the rosy flush of their cheeks that I would want to see lost.

Also... see you in the Windy City! ;]

Angela said...

These are simply beautiful!All of them! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the b&w!!!

I really like the storyboard too!

mmm........triple chocolate fudge cookies!!! Yum!

Christie said...

Wow, Ellen. Those kids were SO blessed to have you in their lives. I LOVE the grainy, film look, just LOVE it! The shot of them in the window is just perfect, that's my favorite. And you look just beautiful too.

I'm tagging you to list 4 of Everything! Check my blog to see. :)

Lipglossiping said...

I haven't been around much lately, but I just had to say how much I'm loving those b&w conversions, they're beautiful and I agree with Christie about how blessed those kids are to have had you around.

I expect it's such a bitter-sweet time for you atm and I can't explain it... but there's something about your recent work that manages to convey that. It's giving your recent stuff another dimension, one that isn't really tangible... but just is. Ugh I made a mess of trying to explain what I'm thinking.

Anyway... beautiful stuff chick *hugs*

Megan said...

Oh my gosh..I adore that 2nd one..fabulous! They are all great..but the 2nd..wow! You are so not in a funk..!1

hope the move is going well..can't wait for your next post.

Tiffany said...

Such great shots Ellen!! Darling pics!!
I love the black and white conversions!!

Toni said...

wow, love all of these! there is just soemthing about htem that seems so wonderful!! they all just seem to speak!!
Toni

Amy (3 Peas) said...

Good luck with your move! I'm sure your kids will miss you.
I like the conversions...they have a nice old school feeling to them.
LOVE that last one esp :)

aboutimage said...

I like the conversion in the second image :)

Good luck with your move.
Great pics. Love the first one...to cute!

willowonthewater.com said...

Love the conversions! Are you feeling settled yet? Hope you are enjoying Chicago.

Rebekah said...

I hope your move went well! Have your classes started up yet?

Jennifer said...

where's Ellen at? We miss you!

Melanie Reyes said...

aww these are great, so many stories to tell!!!! stopping by as you were linked on Jennifer Adam's blog. Love your style. The one in the window - I do like it in color, maybe just desat the greens just a tad??

great work!