Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Great Expectations (and fog!)
Hi guys! It's been a while. Things are going well here, school is busy but ok and the centipede population in my apartment has greatly decreased. I find that I'm just not getting my camera out as much as I used to day-to-day, but I'm hoping that over the next couple of months I'll get better at that again. I'm loving being here though. I've been thinking about things that have happened here that I wasn't expecting, there are quite a few. I guess expectations are really just fears, so it's cool when you don't have to be afraid of things anymore..
- I wasn't expecting everyone here to be so nice: Ok, I'll admit that sometimes it's a little weird. I know more store clerks' life stories than I ever have before. But it's also very nice! I know I can't go anywhere without people smiling and saying hello. And people in stores are starting to remember me, which has never happened to me before. The only bad part is that I feel even more guilty if I leave home without washing my hair.
- I wasn't expecting to make friends that I hope I'll know for life. At least not so quickly... I tend to take a while to get close to people, but I already have a few friends here who I know I will be friends with for a long time. And who will tell me if I have something stuck in my teeth.
- I wasn't expecting to feel so comfortable here. I walk down the street and feel totally normal and relaxed. And sometimes when I pay for something at a store, I get surprised that I'm using American money.. I must really feel at home!

I have my first American Thanksgiving with a friend's family tomorrow, so excited! Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

I went out with my camera when it was just getting dark last night. It was so so foggy out there... These are different for me and definitely not perfect, but I've never really tried taking photos in the dark before, so I'll cut myself some slack. I followed the girl with the umbrella for two blocks, I hope she didn't see me!

At the construction site across from my house:
85mm, f.2.0, 1/160, ISO 1600

85mm, f.2.0, 1/160, ISO 800

85mm, f/2.2, 1/100, ISO 1600

85mm, f/2.2, 1/100, ISO 800

85mm, f/2.0, 1/125, ISO 1600

85mm, f/2.0, 1/80, ISO 1600

23 comments:

Dogeared said...

I think photos 2, 3 and 4 are wonderful, and stood out for me!

I'm glad you're finding your feet so well, and new friends. That's lovely to hear [hug]

Anonymous said...

2, 4 and 6 really speak to me, wow! I feel so much emotion and life in these its amazing.

Lipglossiping said...

I love, love 2 & 4 would totally hang either of those. #4 gives me a B-movie horror film kinda vibe in a totally cool way. So pleased you've settled in so well, I've missed reading.. gonna go back and catch up xx

Christie said...

glad to hear you're doing so well, ellen. i LOVE 2 and 4 so much. so dark and moody. i can feel the cold and fog. i sense a tiny possibility of danger, like enjoying a suspenseful movie kind of feeling. they're truly all cool though. and happy thanksgiving to you too!!!

Julie ( THE Queen of TyPo'S) This chic can't spell!!! said...

Your pictures have a film feel, kind of cool. Glad things are going so well for you! Happy T-Day!!

Stephanie said...

Oh Wow! What creative photos! That's funny you followed the lady. ;) Sounds like something I'd do. Love the shots. Fog always makes for mysterious and cool shots. You did a great job. Also..HAPPY THANKSGIVNG!! :D Hope it's a good 'first' for you! :D

Megan said...

Ellen..so good to see a post from you..I must tell you that I love 2..it gave me a fright..and the umbrella shots are a bit chilling..I get scared easy..it's like someone's watching her..and lurking in the shadows, which I guess you were..ha! Really love all of these..you really are so good..

sherri said...

I'm so glad you are making friends, and I love hearing about what you are up to. These are awesome images, as always. I want to hire you to put images up in my kitchen, lol!

Amy (3 Peas) said...

LOVE that last one....but all of these are really cool :)
Your post made me smile- I'm glad that your loving your new life in Chicago! :)

Angie Penrose said...

Ellen-I'm totally loving this set of pictures!! They are amazing. You are so good! I'm so glad you are having such a great time here. Thats awesome. Did you enjoy thanksgiving? I hope so. I did. Maybe a little to much. :) Hope you're doing well.

Meghan said...

I read this post when you first put it up. And, I thought a comment which I thought I wrote as well. Obviously, I am losing my mind.

Anyway, I'm so happy things are going so well for you up there!

Also, #4 is perfect. And it makes me fear for your life. Even though I know you survived.

Tiarra - Little Faces Photography said...

You amaze me. This makes me want to go try to shoot at night. You did a really great job and how very photojournalistic too! You did a great job.

Amy N. said...

WOW.Beautiful!!! I love the mystery of fog. I am tagging you :) see my blog!

Cyndi said...

Hi Ellen! These are great!

I love the one of the car driving toward you. Very moody. (I have a thing for rain.) Did you have to jump out of the way before he got too close? =)

Tiarra - Little Faces Photography said...

Okay, I gotta know how you did the picture with the colored lights. I have tried this and just can't get it!

Lipglossiping said...

Merry Christnas Ellen, much love xxx

Tanya said...

hi ellen hope all is well...
You have not posted in some time...
I miss my ellen updates...
Happy new year!

sherri said...

I came looking for you Ellen! Where are you? I keep stopping by and I miss your posts! Hope you are well!

Meghan said...

Ellen? Where are you?

Please come back!

Lipglossiping said...

Miss you tons chick, please come back! Obviously you're having oodles of fun, but don't forget about us! xox

Julie ( THE Queen of TyPo'S) This chic can't spell!!! said...

I miss you Ellen!

Dogeared said...

Are you still around? I miss your photo posts :-)

[hug]

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Pen Drive, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://pen-drive-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.